Monday, November 03, 2008

The Fort


Fort Stevens State Park has got to be the best place in Oregon for the average Joe or Jane (which includes me) to ride a bicycle. On a pleasant autumn day, we parked at Battery Russell, unloaded the bikes and set off.

We breezed through an alder, Sitka spruce and Douglas Fir coastal forest. The background song included the dull roar of the ocean, chestnut-backed chickadees and red-breasted nuthatches. We rode out to the beach, where we watched the blue-green ocean waves break through the rusting metal grid that made up the stern of the Peter Iredale. We pedaled to Coffenbury Lake, where a blue heron stood on the fishing dock until we arrived and destroyed its repose. We rode by Swash Lake to the absolutely deserted Historic Area, where we walked through the prison-like concrete batteries. Finally, we zipped along the path through shore pine covered dunes, just to feel the ocean breeze and smell the salt air.

The paths are all paved and in amazingly good shape. It is just plain fun to ride a bicycle through tunnels and over arched wooden bridges.

Trail Guide here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy,
    This is Candace Brown. Thanks for leaving the nice comment on my Good Life Northwest blog. On yesterday's post I diverted from the usual, just because I felt strongly about the point I wanted to make, of the dangers of the divisions in our country. Normally I stay away from all controversy and emphasize the positive.

    That positive outlook is something we seem to have in common, which is one reason I enjoy your own blog. This post, "The Fort", brought back a lot of fond memories of being there with my two sons when they were energetic youngsters (now 30 and 33) They loved it!

    How would you feel about the two of us linking to each other's blogs? I would like to promote yours, and hope you might feel the same about mine. It could do nothing but help us both as far as I can see. If you would rather not, no offense taken, but I will be adding your link to my links list.

    We also share an interest in writing. I'm just getting into doing some freelancing.

    Incidentally, I've been playing music in the Portland/Vancouver area quite a bit in the last few months and will be again during the last two weekends of Nov. Our band, Combo de Luxe( www.combodeluxe.net) will be performing for the grand opening of a remodeled Fred Meyer store at Mill Plain and 205 in Vancouver. It's on the website's calendar page. Just in case you happen to be in the area please come by and introduce yourself.

    I hope you don't mind this long "comment" but since I use Blogger too I know it will first come into your email. This is the only way I had to contact you.

    Thanks,
    Candace

    ReplyDelete